I’m so pleased to finally be posting this. All it took was to be out with Covid to finally get around to it.
First, we decided on the composition. we ended up going for a combination of 3 and 4 so that Tessa (the hamster) was looking inquisitive and there were plenty of background details.
The next step was to do a very simple sketch of the design and check the scale of things.
Once I was fairly happy with the design, I drew out the design (more carefully) on the (pre-prepped) canvas.
Then we have the building up of many, many, many layers of colour. I found it really challenging to get the depth and texture that I wanted. I’ve been doing a lot of flat paintings recently so getting back into this kind of painting was a nice challenge.
The other thing that took some time was getting the texture to where I wanted it to be. Having lots of natural shades all close to each other made it difficult but I think we got it in the end.
I’m always amazed at the difference those last few layers and pen and ink can make. I think it really brings it all to life.